True Beauty

Cassie - Soldotna, Alaska

I Believe.

There is a tiny cove, off the coast of Homer, Alaska, with beautiful sights around every corner. These sights remind me why Alaska is called the Last Frontier. There is a certain view though; peeking out on a tall hillside where the ocean stretches for miles and the sun beats down upon me making it feel as if I am the only person in the world. Nom matter how many times I see this place it is always different; it continues to take my breath away. I understand why so many artists and writers seek refuge in beautiful places like this. They awe and inspire. As I am looking out over the ocean and see the mountains surrounding me, I feel as if I can conquer anything, and that I matter.

I do not know of any other place where I have experienced that much self-confidence.

Every time I return home after a trip to that tiny cove I do everything I was previously afraid to do. Whether it is opening up to someone, speaking my mind, or trying something new. I somehow feel that all those things that seemed so challenging are nothing. I feel as if I can accomplish anything I strive for, and I will never experience doubt in myself. Over the course of time, life breaks that confidence down, but until then I live with no regrets and never second-guess myself.

My favorite movie as a young child was Disney’s The Lion King. I remember rewinding over and over again to the part where Simba lies underneath the stars and reflects on life. I have lied in grassy fields and stared up at the stars, and I understand and have felt the feeling that samba had when he did it as well. The beauty of a starlit sky always mesmerizes me and it always has the same effect as looking over the ocean give to me.

It is an astounding thing really. Seeing one view or experiencing something that takes your breath away. Making it forever feel as if that one thing has the power to change and alter your life. Whether I am standing on a hill, feeling as if I am in complete control, or lying in a grassy field admiring the stars, I will always believe the marvels of nature can inspire me.