Laugh it up

Erin - Sterling, Alaska
Themes: golden rule

Laugh it up

On Saturday, February 23, 2008, my older brother cut his own hair. It was not a normal little trim-it was more like a few inches off. As soon as I came home to see it, I laughed. Instead of saying, “Oh well, it will grow back.” I laughed. Instead of saying, “At least you have learned your lesson,” I laughed. Even though I knew that it hurt him, I still laughed. Yes, it was hilarious, but I went overboard. I was laughing so hard I was in hysterics. I have made many irrational mistakes, but my brother has never once made fun of me because he knows how much it would hurt my feelings.

Perhaps I make fun of others because I am so insecure about my own mistakes. Possibly I am envious of someone and feel I need to make that person look bad. Whatever the reason, I make fun of everyone else’s mistakes. It was only when my brother said, “Just wait ‘till you screw up,” that I realized what every single one of the people I have made fun of will do to me when I screw up. They will treat me the exact way I had treated them; and I will have deserved it.

Thus, I decided to change. Instead of laughing when someone messes up, I will instead say, “Oh well, at least you have learned your lesson,” and leave it at that. Instead of shoving a mistake in a person’s face, I will shrug and say, “It happens,” and say no more. I wish to be treated nicely.

I believe in treating others how I wish to be treated.