Tell the Truth

Vishal - San Ramon, California
Themes: family, integrity

Tell the Truth

I believe in being honest in life. When I mean honest, I mean telling the truth. I am not saying that I tell the truth all the time. I sometimes tell lies only in small things which wouldn’t really hurt anyone. For example, if I tell my parents that I went to the movies but actually I was hanging out with a bunch of friends in the city. I think it is okay to lie in situations like that. It’s not okay to lie when something huge happens and lying would just make it worse. I am talking about telling the truth in situations that have a major impact on my life or someone else’s life. I believe in telling the truth if it will help a person in the long run.

Every time someone asks me a question, I have the choice to answer it with the truth or a lie. I also have to decide on how much truth I can reveal if I choose to tell the truth. When I tell the truth about a serious situation, I feel relieved because I did something right. I also feel a heavy load of stress and tension has been released off my mind. I believe telling the truth gives me good karma as well.

I was taught to be honest and I have based my life on it since I was little. When I was about eight years old, I was at my friend’s house. We were playing outside with little rocks. My friend was standing by a car that belonged to someone we knew and I threw a small pebble sized rock at him but he moved and the rock hit the car’s window and shattered it. A little while later the car’s owner came outside and saw what had happened and asked who did it. I came forward and told him the truth that it was me. It was very painful to tell him that it was me but I knew that if I lied and he would found out from someone else and I would feel more guilty. My parents were upset about what I did but they were proud of me because I told the truth.

I believe it’s important to tell the truth because people will always trust me and believe what I say. My dad always tells me that things get worse if I don’t tell the truth and I won’t be able to get help to solve a problem if I try to cover it up with lies. Telling the truth is something I will continue to do for the rest of my life. It improves relationships with family, friends and even the boss at work. Honesty is the type of communication that I am most comfortable with and my loved ones would definitely agree because they have never lost their trust in me.