I believe in Zombies

Kathleen - Mclean, Virginia

I believe that one day, there will be a Zombie Apocalypse. I am prepared to kill them by hitting them in the head; I even have a helmet for the occasion. I bought the book, the Zombie Survival Guide. I’m totally ready for it. I pray that it never happens, but if I do, I’m going to be a professional Zombie killer. I refuse to live in fear of Zombies.

When I was younger, I used to go to bed afraid of ghosts, zombies, and everything else. I would lie in bed at night and pray that none would come and get me. Eventually, I learned to accept that whatever would happen would happen, and that living in fear of unlikely was simply taking away from my sleep. Once I started sleeping better, I starting applying this philosophy to different areas of my life.

I am a student a Virginia Tech. Almost a year ago, one of my fellow students killed 32 people and then took his own life. At the time I was a senior in high school who had just sent off her letter confirming her enrollment at Tech. I watched in horror as the events unfolded before my eyes. At the end of the day I sat down and cried. I cried for the dead, for the living, and for those of us who were left with a choice: to live or not to live in fear.

Like all of the other freshmen here at Tech, I choose not to be afraid. In fact, Tech had its highest acceptance rate ever. We chose not to be afraid. When the rest of the world mourned with us, we gathered the courage to continue on with our lives. This kind of courage is common, everyday courage, but it is sometimes required in larger doses. So when offered to withdrawal our acceptance without penalty, we denied it. En masse.

I do not fear Zombies, I do not fear Cho. I believe that living in fear is a poor way to live. I believe that courage is the ability to overcome fear, and I believe that Tech is full of courageous people. If they are brave enough to live without fear, then I am proud and humbled to count myself as a proud Hokie.