Teaching God’s Children

Stacie - Morehead, Kentucky

This I Believe: Teaching God’s Children

I believe that every person is a child of God. We are all precious in his heart. Because of this it is very important to treat everyone we encounter in a loving manner. As up and coming teachers we have a grand opportunity to just this. We deal with children on a daily basis who need to know that they are valued and loved. For many children, the classroom may be the only place they can feel this way.

I sometimes think that when we teach it is easy to get wrapped up in the assignments that must be completed and the goals that must be met. I realize that these things are important, but when we are dealing with people we must make sure that their needs are being met. Many of the students we will teach live in situations that would break us in an instant. How can we expect them to learn when they are suffering inside? I feel that in order for genuine learning to occur the students must feel safe and respected.

I want my classroom to be a place where students know that they are cared for and that their feelings matter. Creating such an atmosphere is certainly the way to foster the students’ growth and development in both the subject area and with the student as person. As educators, I believe it is our duty to find the balance between making sure that students are meeting learning objectives and helping them grow into independent, confident young adults.