Daddy

Theresa - Stafford, Virginia
Themes: purpose

I believe that every girl needs a dad and that all things happen for a reason, even if we do not agree with how they happen. Seventeen months and a few days ago, I was suddenly awakened by the sound of my mom crying, telling me that something was wrong with my dad. I went down to the basement to see what was wrong and I found him lying on the floor, face down on the ground, pasty grey and completely lifeless. It was the second day of my senior year when my dad died. He was my best friend and was always there for me, and his death was completely unexpected.

A dad is supposed to be a friend, a mentor, someone to look up to, a protector, and someone who should always be there. Every girl needs a dad, even if she says she doesn’t. She needs him to teach her how a man should treat her, to show her the basic things in life that a mom cannot do. My dad was one of these dads, you know the kind that did everything with his daughter and showed just how life should be. He was also one of my best friends and on that dreary day in October I felt as if my world was being ripped apart. I still do not understand why, but know how and just do not want to accept it because it all seems so unreal.

All things happen for a reason be it good or bad, they happen. I cannot add a single day to my life by worrying about the past, present, or even the future and it is going to happen like it is supposed to. Things happen for a reason, we might not agree with this reasoning but in the long run it will help you. When my dad died I learned how strong of a person I really was, and I would not have ended up in college, so in my case this was a terrible but good thing. Losing my dad is by far the worst thing that has happened to me so far in my life, but he got his wish of me being able to attend school and making something of myself.

This is why I believe all daughters need their dad and all things happen for a reason.