Knot A Mistake

Teagan - Rancho Santa Fe, California
Themes: setbacks

I believe in the power of making mistakes.

I went to elementary school at R. Roger Rowe, going into every class with straight A’s. But even though I got all A’s doesn’t mean I didn’t make mistakes. Sometimes I studied the wrong things, or I totally screwed up and forgot when a project was due, or even if I forgot to put my name on my paper. All of these things contribute to mistakes. By making these faults, it has improved me as a person in not only school, but in life.

Back in 3rd grade, I turned in this major- half- of- your- trimester- grade project. I thought I did spectacular and I thought, again, another good grade. But when I got it back two weeks later, you should have seen my face. Right in the middle of the grade sheet was a bold sentence. It said:

You clearly put all your effort into your piece, but you did not even give any attempt to follow the directions. D-

At first I was disappointed. But later on that night, I realized something. As I struggled to get over the fact of a bad grade, I finally came to resolve the importance of mistakes, and not the consequences of them. And by making them, I can learn from them so I won’t do it again in the future. From not following the directions in 3rd grade, I have never started any project without looking at the directions first.

So rather than neglecting the mistakes that I did in my life so far, I learn from them.

To me, I think I am a ball of yarn. As I untwine, I meet knots along the way. And it my job to try different ways to get the knot out so I can have a straight string that goes right to success. And as everyone struggles to get out their knots, I believe we continue to untangle ourselves as we meet the demands of the future.