this i believe

Lauren - Santa Ana, California

Okay, so I don’t have the latest American Eagle jeans, the sweetest fragrance from Hollister, and I wore the same thing twice in one week. Does this mean I can’t sit with you?

We are all people, and we all, as cheesy as this sounds, have feelings. The media is a big influence on me in everyday life. It makes it seem like it’s better to be a certain way, than to be myself. Right now it seems like everyone has to be skinny. So, most of us think we’re fat if we don’t have ‘The Perfect Body.” I’ll be honest, I do it too. As hard as it is, I believe we should learn to love who we are, and not what we want to be.

Whatever happened to “Don’t judge a book by its cover?” Just because someone doesn’t “grab your attention” doesn’t mean they aren’t interesting or exciting. When I take the time to talk to someone I wouldn’t normally, I’m pretty amazed at how many awesome people there are out there. Why is everything almost always about looks? I know that I sometimes get so into appearances, I forget to look for what’s on the inside.

It’s easy to get sucked into clothes, looks, and well, (for girls) guys. I just try to keep my head held high, and not be afraid of who I am. It shouldn’t matter if I’m short or tall, skinny or fat, or Abercrombie or Wal-Mart. I’m still the same person. Not one person should be treated better than the other because they’re “prettier.” Jesus Christ didn’t judge anyone. He talked to and helped people from prostitutes to the rich. I believe in treating everyone with respect.

I’ve tried to change to fit in. I acted differently, and all I cared about was trying to get “those kids” to like me. It honestly wasn’t fun at all. But then I shrugged that off, and I just was myself, and was having so much more fun. I got incredible friends that way, and they could care less if I’m not the prettiest person in the world. As long as I’m confident, people will definitely notice. I laugh all the time, I’m loud, I’m Christian, and I skip down the hallways sometimes. That’s me. Scared of showing your real self? Smile, I believe it’s more fun to be different.