Follow Your Nose

Jeanne - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Follow Your Nose

As I wake up in the morning, before I even begin to open my sleepy eyes, I breathe in the morning air. A fresh scent helps me arise and I’m more prepared for the day. Walking into any room I can pick out individual colognes, the licorice hidden away in a young girl’s pocket, and the subtle scent of Febreeze most likely sprayed a few days ago.

My sense of smell is my primary sense. I believe in using it before sight, before hearing, and before touch. A scent tells so much about a person or an atmosphere. A romantic evening can be filled with sweet scents of candles and seductive perfume. The scents of roasting casserole or the cinnamon and baked apples in mom’s homemade pie bring a scent of belonging to a wayward child’s nose.

My sense of smell is so overwhelmingly strong; it is as if I am a child who has been practically blind for her whole life, receiving her first pair of glasses. Every detail is crisp. Each aroma opens my mind to new ideas about each situation presented.

Others may argue that my ability to see and hear is more important. They may claim I would not be able to function as a normal person without sight and hearing. I wouldn’t be able to know much about anything in the world around me. I am not claiming that I could live without my senses of sight and hearing; in fact, life would be much more difficult.

The difference is that I use my sense of smell for an initial evaluation of my situation. Each scent tells me if I am welcome when I enter, if I am repulsed by a smell, or if I am initially attracted to someone by their aroma. I have found a new version of physical attraction. Scents tell me if I will be comfortable and secure with someone, or if I will have to watch what I say and do.

If every person just stopped and thought about what scents mean in his life, he would realize the importance of his ability to smell. Scents teach us about a situation. Scents result in emotions. Scents are a part of every person’s memory. So let’s just take a minute and smell the roses.