School is a Game, a Game I Must Win

Michael - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Themes: work

I have extremely large feet. I am constantly tripping over objects or stepping on people ankles. They are embarrassing and also a sight of awe for so many. If I had a nickel for every time someone said “Dude, you have big feet!” I would have a lot of nickels. But I believe my feet symbolize something more. God gave me large feet and God also gave me a brain, a smart brain, so I feel. My parents have realized this gift and ever since pre-school they have pushed me to achieve. They would repeatedly tell me I need to get into a good college, I need to make money. I would strive for the best crayon drawing or not stop until I had the top grade in the class. In reality, I rarely met these goals, but I was determined to give every moment that I spent in a classroom 110 percent, and I have. I’ve been involved in Student Council, tutored kids, coached a hockey team, and more. I have failed at some these, but I kept going. But this isn’t about my accomplishments and failures, this about the shoes my parents have pushed me to fill. And feel like I have filled them. They are extremely large shoes. Sometimes they might be hard to walk in. I stumble, trip, and fall down, but I get back up and keep chugging on. I don’t let my shoes keep me down and I will not let them stop me from achieving everything I have ever dreamed. When I look down at my feet, I see something other might not. I believe they are what gets me through everyday.