Tesha - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

On a typical high school day, it’s assured you’ll hear “ugh, she was so fake” as if it were a commonplace hello. What’s wrong with being “fake”? As hard as you try, you’re not going to act the same around everyone. Without doubt, I believe in multiple personalities.

Surely, you won’t be telling sexual humor jokes to your mother that you’d be sharing with your closest guy friends, and you wouldn’t be discussing curtains with your guy friends that you’d be debating with your mother. It just doesn’t work.

For some reason, there’s such a definition as a “steady” guy. In reality, no one can treat everyone equally. It’s an intangible goal some try to achieve. I don’t deny I act differently around adults. To them, I am Tesha Kondrat, the most well-mannered girl in town. However, to my close friends I’m T-Kon, the loud-mouthed, smack-talking enthusiast with a lot to say. And even more, to my acquaintances I’m Tesha, the cool, calm and mature high school gal. I’m not ashamed of it either.

We must adapt to our environments in order to feel socially acceptable to our fellow humans. Obviously, we mean certain things to different people. To mom and dad, I’m the daughter, to my intellectual friends I’m the romantic-comedy reader, and to my party friends I’m the 60s music guru, and so on. Clearly, we thrive on each others roles and without them, our relationships would be off-balanced.

I laugh whenever I see my dad in front of his employees. He’s kind, non-intimidating, and obliging. What a world it would be if he treated my siblings and me that way. For some reason “lose the attitude or I’ll stick my foot up you’re a**”, even with the best intentions, doesn’t come off too congenial. The funny thing is that we’re all Academy Award winning actors, and we don’t even know it.

Without doubt, there would be more cat fights if I had the same personality around everyone. Usually, the people that keep it “real” are the ones that abrupt controversy. So what if I don’t want to tell Clara Mitchell she shouldn’t bring a pocket knife to school? Instead, I throw her a sanguine smile and ask her about the math homework.

The ability for people to have multiple personalities brings excitement into my life, knowing that I have the adept skill to mold myself into anything I want. An issue some have is they think they’re cemented to a certain personality. My favorite musician Bob Dylan said, “I hate it when people say ‘this is who I am and I ain’t changing’ but no, we’re changing everyday, we’re never the same person.’” I take that as life lesson. In Ann Arbor I could be Tesha, the British girl from Liverpool who spits excessively. Or in Port Huron I’m Tesha, the freak who makes woven baskets in her basement. Face it; I’m the lead role in an 80 year production in the movie entitled “Life”.