The Three Second Rule

Kyle - Hillsboro, Oregon

Three Second Rule

We all know the three second rule that has been “scientifically” proven that no germ can get on a piece of food before three seconds. It is a fun little game to play if you accidentally drop a piece on the ground. We all know that delicious drop of food still has untainted parts of it, so why waist its ability to please your taste buds to the cold lifeless floor? Now think about it on a deeper level. When a child gets mixed into some trouble, or gets hooked on drugs the parents don’t just abandon them. The parents try to lift the distraught child out of the cruel and disturbing world they are living in, and bring them back to normal. The parents do this because they know, somewhere in them, they still have nice, reasonable, peaceful parts that are worth fighting to preserve.

It wouldn’t be far fetched to say that we have all been a piece of dropped food at one point. Everyone has hit a low point in their life, and that is when we have two choices to make. We can either pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get ready for the next round, or we can lay down depressed, beaten, and hurt. One of my idols, Evil Knievel, once said “you’re never a failure in life unless you fail to get up.” This is a powerful quote that portrays the same idea as the Three Second Rule. When you hit rock bottom, learn from it, and climb your way back up to the top.