Possibilities Are Endless

Emily - Wichita, Kansas

Emily C

Mrs. Kellerby

IB English 3

28 February 2008

Possibilities Are Endless

People keep asking me what I’m going to do with myself and where I’m going to go to college. I really should have some idea by now, but it seems ridiculous to try to plan my life when I’m only seventeen. I’ve tried to think about the future, and I have narrowed it down to a few careers. I think I will either end up as a zoologist, paleontologist, pet shop owner, or knitwear designer. The last one seems totally unreasonable, but I have a bizarre obsession with knitting, and I might as well throw it out there as a possibility.

I used to want to be a veterinarian more than anything. In kindergarten I would sit in the back near the shelves so I could watch the ant farm and my best friend was my poodle-terrier mix, Max. It was natural then, that from fourth grade on, I was destined to be a veterinarian. I read books, thought about vet school, and tried to imagine what my life would be like as a vet. I figured that I’d end up with a fairly nice, very suburban house that had sliding doors and a fenced back yard. I’d have really nice neighbors, and I’d walk my dog around the block all of the time. I’d have a big porch and maybe a park nearby to read at. Yep- my sixth grade self oozed with ideas of the perfect, content, oh so all-American lifestyle.

Then something weird happened. I finally got to my freshman year of high school and figured out that I was not only bad at algebra 2, but I couldn’t write adequate English essays or do any of my homework until the very last minute. I felt betrayed by my middle school and completely drained from trying to deal with my decision to take the hardest classes I could find. This spawned something real though: it gave me the idea that my life and what I do with it is all up to me. I have so many choices that some of my peers don’t have because my family really isn’t pushing me into anything. I don’t know why, but I suddenly began to think of reasons why being a veterinarian with a nice house wasn’t exactly the right choice. I realized that I need to be more honest with myself. I’m too fickle to stay in one tiny little place, and I don’t ever want my life to look like a silly backdrop in a chick flick.

Don’t get me wrong though, I still think a lot about veterinary practice. I just think that maybe I’m not meant for an everyday, 9-5 job. Young people are often pushed towards the more practical, higher paid jobs. I believe that everyone has their own choice, and we all hold the potential and perseverance for what we really want to be. For now, the possibilities of what I may become are enough to keep me trying.

Word count: 496