Beyond Words

David - Rochester, New York

I believe in the ineffable moments of life. I am an identical twin. Every time I look in the mirror I see two faces, two bodies, two people… I see my brother and myself. I cannot express this phenomenon. I cannot put it into words what it is like to experience myself, and my brother, in front of the mirror.

In the same way, every time I see my newborn son I lose my ability to describe and express the way I feel. This feeling is universal. It resonates within every mother and father who loves his or her child.

This way of experience is a part of life that reminds me that I don’t have to know what words to use to feel or think a certain way. It reminds me that I don’t have to say anything when comforting a crying friend. It reminds me that I don’t have to explain why I think a painting by Caspar David Friedrich is beautiful. It reminds me that I don’t have to use words all the time to think, feel, understand and experience.

I’ve even found myself in an ineffable state while watching an episode of the British television series, The Office. I sat there thinking that what I was watching was so funny, I couldn’t even laugh. For me it was beyond laughing.

These moments in life are revelations. They are epiphanies. They are monumental and life changing. They speak the loudest, though they do not use words. They resonate with such vibration, as if to break up our ability to formulate adjectives of description and expression. I believe in these moments without words. I believe in the adjective-less reflections of life. I believe in giving my tongue, my mind, and my pride a rest and simply embracing the ineffable.