The Carolina Way

Shruti - Memphis, Tennessee
Themes: place

I believe in The Carolina Way. Any one who has visited or attended the UNC knows what I’m talking about. At Carolina, there is an unrivaled sense of community, a desire to help others, and a commitment to making the world a better place.

I came the University of North Carolina this past fall and have fallen in love with this place, but more than that, I have fallen in love with the people that attend this place. The Carolina Way is not just and idea here. UNC students really live it. Nowhere else have I found a group of people so committed to their community, others, and one another. Students at UNC are socially, politically, and emotionally aware. They are people who want to make the world a better place.

Perhaps the greatest embodiment of the Carolina Way was one of its greatest supporters, Eve Carson. Eve served as our Student Body President until she was tragically shot and killed earlier this week. Her commitment to excellence, to service, to her peers, and to her University as a whole was evident in everything she did. I didn’t know Eve well, but from the brief time I did get to know her, I came to greatly respect and admire her. She was the kind of person that would go out of her way to give someone a hug, or say hi to them. She was always concerned with helping other people.

It was her demeanor and her acts of kindness that won over so many individuals, and at UNC we must honor her memory by continuing to practice The Carolina Way.

We are all hurting, for Eve, for her family, for each other. But, it is because of our love for one another, and our desire to help those around us that we will get through it.

The world lost a great person, a great student, a great friend, a great soul this week, but it has gained a group of individuals, students, who are now, more than ever committed to helping those in need, loving each other, and making other people’s lives better——–the world gained a group of students who now, more than ever want to continue to embody The Carolina Way, Eve’s way.