God Knows

Kylan - Bartlesville, Oklahoma
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

God Knows

It is always frustrating to me when I forget something and have to go all the way back and get whatever I have forgotten. This is when I have to pause and remember my favorite Bible verse Jeremiah 29:11. Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord, “plans for your welfare not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

My family and I were on the road by nine thirty in the morning and headed to Branson for spring break when someone yelled out that they had forgotten some thing. So in just a little bit we were turned around and it seemed like it would be decades before we were ever back on our never ending journey. After we were back on the road we past a horrible, dreadful wreak that looked like a warzone. Later we found out that this bad wreak happened around the very same time we would have been there. Our very lives could have been snatched from us in the twinkling of an eye.

This verse became my favorite when my 6th grade English teacher, Mrs. Betsy Gregory, wrote it in my yearbook. This made me curious as to what it said, so I went and looked it up. But God made it stick in my head. I’m very glad that it did. From things like forgetting something to big things like a death in the family, God always whispers to me, “Kylan…Jeremiah 29:11…” Somehow this always seems to calm me down because I know that God isn’t blind like me and can see what’s going to happen to me later in life. It also helps me to remember that I need to look past the bad, awful stuff that I encounter in life because God can use that for my “welfare.”

Jeremiah 29:11 also pops up in my head when God tells me to do something that I don’t really want to do, like telling the truth when it’s so easy to lie. Lying can be an escape from getting into deep trouble, but can cost us dearly later in life. Eventually the consequences will catch up to us and have to be paid.

Even through those little things like forgetting something can irritate us and throw our plans right out the window, they can be used by God to keep us from disaster. I also know that I need to obey God because he knows what’s in store for me. So when I forget something or have to do something I really don’t want to do, I always remember that God’s got my back.

This I believe.