Standing up for What You Believe in no Matter What the Consequence

Dee - Quickburg, Virginia

The world we live in today is a crooked one. Even those who like the world we live in can agree that there is no perfect answer to the many problems that we, as a nation and mostly, the world, have. I believe in doing what is considered wrong for the right reasons.

If you asked for advice from people, most would say, just put your head down and blend into the crowd. Where would we be today if Martin Luther King Jr. or Thomas Edison just blended in? Well, to be frank, America would still be segregated and we wouldn’t have light bulbs. Society, today, has practically brainwashed the kids, and even some adults, into saying or thinking what it wants them to think or say. I believe in sticking up for what you believe in. I believe in standing out of the crowd to make a point. If a problem arises and there is no solution, I believe in doing what is considered wrong to do what is right.

I came to this realization when a couple of days ago, my teacher and I had a “discussion.” We had a little squabble on differences of opinions. I came to the conclusion that she was discriminating against many of the other students in the classroom. Of course, she disagreed. She explained to me that she thinks different people should be treated differently. I would understand if she meant that kids with special needs should be treated differently, but clearly, she did not. She, in my mind and many others, was discriminating against others for ridiculous reasons. My opinion: she was discriminating against people who are different or unique. When people in my classroom continued to make a “popping” noise, almost immediately she put the blame on the same kid in the class that she always does.

At this point I became quite angry, stood up, and began to argue with the teacher. Now believe me, arguing with any adult is not the answer, because you most likely will have consequences. I did not get in trouble, thank goodness, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. I did not change her mind however, I feel that my point was made.

So what is the answer? In a world full of hypocrites, liars, and in this case, discriminators, you have to stand up, stand out, and make a point or the world will never change.