Riptide

Jessica - Asbury Park, New Jersey

I believe that life is an ocean and lessons are its riptide. I jump into the water and swim and swim, most of the time without incident. Then, randomly, a strong tide pulls me miles from where I was peacefully splashing around. It can’t be fought. If I fight against this awesome force of nature, I will surely tire and drown. There is nothing left to do,but feel the force of the ocean pulling me out to sea, hear the whooshing sound of the water filling my ears. Taste the salt of the sea on my tongue. And wait. All the while thoughts are frantically popping into my head. Thoughts that need to be controlled because that is all I have: my thoughts.”I think therefore I am.” It is at these moments of physical incapacity that my most important, life giving ” muscle ” is worked. Where I learn to slow the frenzy. Where I see exactly who I am. Where I know all of the truths that I have ever known. Then, in this time-suspended, oddly juxtaposed place of peace and surrender, I see me. All that there ever was or ever will be of me. Suddenly the pulling tide subsides, spitting me over and out to the side, and once again I am floating, bobbing up and down in the water, feeling my body. Creating movement once again. My mind controlling my body,deciding which direction I will swim in. Until the next time.