Without them I would be lost

Dahlya - Orchard Park, New York

When I go through something tough, and is something just too much to handle, I know there are always those people who will be there for me. In February of last year, my great grandmother passed away. It had to be one of the hardest experiences of my life. My grandmother was always there, I mean always. She lived below us and now that I think back I took that for granite. But, she was there when my sisters and I got off the bus, when we rode our bike and when we played on the swing set. She watched us grow and she mainly influenced who I am toady. Therefore, I have never cried like I did the day I found out. My whole family was out of town for a hockey tournament when we got the bad news. My grandmother was gone and I would never see her on the porch or in the garden again. After finding out, it was one of those times that you act like your fine then someone asks you what’s wrong and you break down and ball your eyes out! My sisters and I came out of the hotel room trying to stay strong but obviously the whole team could tell something was wrong. They asked and we spilled. All of us just sat in the hallway and cried, but it was so nice to have some support and to know they all cared. The next day we came home and I decided to call some friends. I was bummed and hoping one of them could cheer me up. When they all found out they came over to try to comfort me. Having my closest friends over to help probably cheered me up the most, I mean don’t get me wrong, I still cried but at least at this point someone was there with a box of tissues and a caring hug. Without my close friends and the girls from hockey, I don’t think I would have been able to deal with her death. True friends are the best people you can have in your life. This I believe.