Generosity

Nicholas - Lincolnwood, Illinois

Generosity

One word pretty much sums up what I believe to be right: generosity. I think that what seems so little to one of us can be so much to someone else. There are so many people in the world that don’t even have the basic necessities of life. They are the ones that really need the generosity of others.

Generosity. It is what I struggle with so much. I have so much, while others have so little. If I can just give a little, it can change the life of another. There are many people who give, but there are tons more who need to be given. I always try to give the most I can, but too often I find myself keeping almost everything for myself. I go home some days and look at my TV, my phone, and my iPod, and I wonder why I am so attached to these things. I know it would be better if I gave all this money to help people, but it is so hard to break my desire for more material items.

If we all give a little, we can change to world. We often think that just a dollar from one person isn’t going to do much, but it does. Just a few dollars can buy food for a starving child in a third world country. Through our generosity, a poor may be able to live a little easier. If we would all donate, we could really make a difference in the world of today. We have the ability to make the future better; we just all need to chip in a little.

Even though I’m speaking about how we should be generous, I also really need to step up my giving. I always try to ask myself, “Do I really need that double-quarter pounder with cheese? Or should I put that money in the donation box?” We should all try to cut down on those material items that we think make us happy, when giving is what can really give us joy. I remember when I was saving up for a new iPod, but then the time for school mission collections came around. I made a sacrifice and I gave some money. I thought I would not feel so good after giving since I would now have to wait longer to get that iPod, but I realized that I felt much better after giving.

We should not be egotistical and only care about ourselves. We are all on this world together, so we should care for everyone, from our own family members, to a poor family in Africa. If we can all just pledge to do a little, then together, we can do a lot.