Kicking the Pig

Ryan - Harrisonburg, Virginia

I believe in kicking the pig.

I don’t know exactly when it started, but I think it was on the field before a marching band competition my freshmen year of high school. I was waiting to take the field before the performance, and I was getting more excited by the minute. I was feeling a little wacky at the time. I am not sure what exactly I was thinking but then I randomly said to everyone, “Let’s kick this pig!” I have no idea why that idea came into my head, but I went with it anyway. It all started from there. Ever since then I have been saying “Let’s kick this pig” before almost everything important I do, from college applications to chemistry labs.

By no means am I condoning animal cruelty, nor would I ever actually kick a pig. But if I DID kick a pig, I would have to give it a big kick with all my effort; pigs are large animals; a weak kick just wouldn’t cut it. I use this quote before important things that I do. It is inspirational to me. It reminds me to give my full and best effort to what I am about to do. It reminds me to approach the situation with intensity and ferocity. The quote is a good, albeit odd, summary of what I think. But hey, I am odd myself, so the quote fits

I have said “Let’s kick this pig” aloud many times, and I usually get weird looks and questions when I do. But then once I explain it to people, it seems to make sense to them in an odd way. Much like the first time I said it, I didn’t know what it meant, but when I thought about it, it made sense. I started to say it to the drumline before every marching band performance, and it sort of became a tradition to say before performances. That is how it started, but then I started applying it to the rest of my life.

Another situation in which it helped was the first day of classes last semester. It was a slightly scary experience, the first day of college classes. I just woke up in the morning and screamed out, “LET’S KICK THIS PIG!!!” True story, you can ask my roommate. I went out and gave it my best effort in my new situation. I thought it a fitting way to start the semester.

I have noticed that some people who have been around me for a while have actually started to use it too. It is interesting to hear it coming from others. It is funny to see my random, crazy little saying take on a life of its own. It is cool that it also makes sense to others. All that said, “Let’s kick this pig!”