Rachel - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe friends are the family you choose. We see normal everyday things like magnets and usually don’t pay them much attention, but that’s exactly where I first saw this phrase; it stuck with me and now means so much. Friends are an important part of life for everybody, but usually people rank family as a more important part of life. I say what is family other than blood relation? I see for most people family is a support system, of love, care, trust, dependence, a source of strength, and hopefully happiness.

Now, I say what is a friend? To me a friend is a source of support, love, care, trust, dependence, strength, and most of all happiness. So in my opinion they’re basically the same thing to begin with. Both relationships are complex, but to me that is what they come down to. People are born into their families, and not all are blessed with the qualities of family I have listed above. But in my opinion everyone needs those qualities in their life through someone they truly connect with, and sometimes that’s not the family you’re born into, it’s the people you find. Everyone can choose friends; everyone can seek out that happiness that comes from having the support, love, and care from a friendship that can mean so much them they essentially become family.

In my life I’ve come to treasure my friendships the most and know the importance of them in my life. I don’t know what I would do without the people I confide in, take advice from, spend time with, complain to, cry with, laugh with, and most definitely love and appreciate for the role they play in my life. I feel that friends are truly a gift in life and that we all need them in life to get us through happy, sad, boring, tumultuous, crazy, depressing, or any other kind of times we have.

So I guess I agree with people that rank family as the most important part of life, because I consider my friends my family and they are the most important. I would be totally lost without them and I cherish the relationships I have with them above all others and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.