Christopher - North Liberty, Iowa

By Chris W

I am Chris; I like all things medieval, computer games, and video games. I have a deep connection with nature, along with the great outdoors and the earth that surrounds us. But I wasn’t always like this. I used to be what my mom calls a “wild card”. When I was younger I didn’t really have a preference for anything, and if you asked me what I liked to do or what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wouldn’t be able to answer you.

It’s a struggle to determine who you really are. I know from personal experience, after spending almost my entire life trying to define myself in words I see fit. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you, other times it’s so far away you can’t even begin to imagine how long it would take to get to it. But it’s not just words that can define us. Thoughts, feelings, and actions are the most useful tools that help build you’re character and who you are. Actions determine your outward appearance. Thoughts describe your mind. Feelings define your personality. All three of these are closely connected in the strangest way. The five senses create thoughts and feelings which often lead to actions. For instance, let’s say you’ve never felt hot before and you accidentally step on a vent that’s blowing hot air. Immediately you know what hot is and you quickly withdraw your foot from the vent and onto the cool floor. Now that you have a simple understanding of just one kind of heat, you can take an opinion on it and eventually an emotion towards heat. This is the basis of human understanding, or at least it is for people who aren’t professionals (like scientists, for instance, who cannot bias their experiments just because their opinion is contradictory to their research). The human mind is an enigmatic device because no part of your brain describes where thoughts and feelings are stored. As individuals we choose what we wear and who our friends are and where we stand in political affairs (as well as other things of course). That is why I believe we embrace that which defines us.