Siri - 98045, Washington

My friend is loyal, honest, and sincere, but she gets teased for a lot of stuff; she’s black, she enjoys other things most girls don’t enjoy, and she wears lose clothes. I don’t care about that stuff, I don’t care if she’s a tomboy or that she’s black. She’s my friend, if she helps me through something, I’ll help her through something, too. I believe people should be judged from what’s on the inside.

I’d been home schooled for two years, and before then I went to private school. I was starting Snoqualmie Middle School at the seventh grade. I had friends to stand by me, but I still felt a bit weird. I still had old, worn out clothes from Wilderness Awareness to wear, and I had a lot of lose shirts, my friend had told me I’d be made fun of, and I rolled my eyes, “Just from what I’m wearing?” But I changed my style to more jewelry, tight jeans, and Hollister. I’m still myself, but seriously, it aggravated me that people would make fun of me just because of what I’m wearing.

After I had changed my style, I knew more people and I had more friends, but the friend I started the year of with started to not me much of a friend anymore. When I told her some of the guys in gym were fun to hang out with, her jaw was on the ground, “They’re too obnoxious to want to hang around!” I ignored it, but knew she wanted me to be friend with basically only girls. So? I shrugged it off my shoulders, and hanging out with them I laugh harder than with my other friend. I still hang out with girls, but my now “acquaintance” is the obnoxious one.

My “acquaintance” I still hang out with, and when we do hang out, I end up rolling my eyes. She starts to say some inappropriate thing I don’t want to talk about and how hot guys with six packs are, and since I’m tall, I’d go good with a tall guy. “Well, “I challenged, “I’d do better with a guy I like even if he is only five feet six inches and I’m three inches taller than he is.” She rolls her eyes, and I roll my eyes at just that. “Look, you think the guy I like is a jerk, but you never talked to him when you liked him, and I actually talked to him!” She doesn’t listen to me, but I still try to convince her how guys look like doesn’t matter.

I think people concentrate too much on what’s on the outside, and not what’s on the inside. I think we should turn it around; they should look on the inside, that’s the most important place. We need to make the people we make fun of feel noticed, confident, and good inside, not make them feel invisible and shattered inside.