Michelle - Hooper, Utah
Themes: legacy

I believe in setting a good example, because you never know who is watching or how it will affect their lives.

Setting a good example is the reason I became a nurse. My Aunt was a Nurse and was, in my five year old eyes, the best person on the planet. She would care for people and make them better when they were sick. She was always happy and would smile a lot whenever I would see her, so I decided that to be happy like her; I would need to be like her.

As I grew up and made my way through school, I lost sight of wanting to be a nurse. I forgot the happy feeling I liked and wanted to have. I became a teenager looking for acceptance. My mind was no longer on caring for others, but on trying to find where I fit in to the whole scheme of things. I graduated high school with a 1.5 GPA.

After graduating from high school I found a wonderful man and we married and had our first child. She was the sweetest and cutest little bundle there ever was. It was at this time that I began thinking about when I was five years old and wanted to be like my aunt. Those same feelings returned of wanting to be happy and wanting to care for others. It must have been the motherly instinct that made these feelings re-surface and I was ready. It was time to go back to school and try harder this time to become someone that I desperately wanted to be. To be someone who could care for others and bring joy when they were experiencing some of the worst times in their lives. I wanted again to be like my Aunt.

After much studying, testing, struggling and homework, I have been that Nurse now for 15 years. I have helped many people heal after surgery as well as after the death of a loved one. I have had to stand up for patients rights and help them to get the care they needed. I have sat next to a patient’s bed and held their hand while they passed away because the family was unable to be there. I have had many happy days as well as many trying days, and I wouldn’t trade any of them. My life has been rewarding and fulfilling being able to care for others.

That first child we had 21 ½ years ago that was the sweetest and cutest little bundle there ever was? She is now married, attending school and will now graduate as a Registered Nurse in August.

This is all the result of the good example my Aunt portrayed.