Diana - Houston, Texas

Don’t Stop the Music!

I believe that music affects people’s lives. Whether it be rocking out to alternative music, or closing your eyes as you listen to a violin solo, music is there with you.

I believe that music is a universal language. You can express your feelings with just one song, one melody. Love, hate, rage, lust, passion, depression, can all be conveyed through music. No one should be able to say they have never related to a song before. Many times I have listened to music and thought; this is exactly how I feel right now. Thinking that helped me realize that I am not the only one who has ever felt pain, happiness, or rejection. Once you understand that there are others out there that feel the same things you feel, you know that you are not alone.

I believe that without music, change would not be possible. Many people are inspired by songs they happen to listen to. I have been inspired by artists and bands, like John Mayer, Motion City Soundtrack, and Matchbox 20, who have written songs about important things, such as global warming and change. They know that people look up to them and if they can reach everyone with just one song, it could impact the world. At first, they could be little changes, but even just a small change can do wonders.

Music is not always just for fun. It is not just something I listen to when I feel bored. Take time to really listen to a song. You will notice that there is always a meaning behind every song. No one just writes a song because they woke up deciding to write one. They feel, see, and experience it first.

The thing about music is that it never dies. Even slavery could not stop people from singing freedom songs. They communicated through music and gave hope to others who felt like giving up. I believe in music and the deeper meaning behind every song. So I say, no matter what, you can’t stop the beat!