zoe - houston, Texas
Themes: environment

Pollution can kill…

Did you know that eighty-ninety percent of our time is spent inside buildings? “In 1985 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reported that toxic chemicals found in the air of almost every American home are three times more likely to cause some type of cancer than outdoor air pollutants.” (Miller 488) A major source of pollution in the air is produced from burning fuels in automobiles, homes, and industries. I think this is a risk that should be taken more seriously because I believe that pollution is endangering the lives of everyone and is harming the environment.

When driving on the road and you see all the different types of cars: some big, some small, some old, and some new; all of these cars, no matter what, have something in common with one another; they are one of many major sources of pollution to the environment. “The Bigger the Better” is a familiar saying that most people have heard of. It can have multiple meanings; like big houses are better then small houses, big businesses are better then small business, and big cars are better then small cars. Most people would look up to this statement and believe it, when the truth is, not everything big is better. Some people don’t like big houses because they seem open and lonely. Some people think bigger cars are better, but the fact is the bigger a car is the more pollution it produces. This is extremely bad for the environment and every living organism that breathes it in. It’s a scary thought to think that the air that we always breathe in order to live is contaminated with all the unnecessary products that are causing terrible diseases. I believe that pollution is endangering the lives of everyone and is harming the environment.

I believe that pollution is endangering animals and humans as well as affecting the environment. The pollution from cars, houses, factories, and other sources are a major cause of deaths per year. The air we breathe that is contaminated with the pollution produced can cause many harmful diseases that could affect our lives. It can cause respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, throat inflammation, chest pain, and congestion. Wikipedia states that “water pollution causes about 14,000 deaths per day, mostly due to contamination of drinking water by untreated sewage in developing nations.” Of all the animals living on Earth about twenty percent are affected by pollution. Animals in the ocean have to watch out for oil spills and dangerous pesticides. Animals on land have to be aware of its surrounding habitats; like whether it lives around manufacturing businesses or factories. I think we have to be aware of what pollution is doing to the environment and how it changes the lives of many people. Is there a way we could stop the different types of pollution? Because I believe pollution is endangering the lives of everyone and is harming the environment.