Klaudia - Chicago, Illinois

I believe that by helping others I can help myself. In 7th grade I took algebra and understood it perfectly. Unfortunately, my friend was not as mathematically inclined as I was. As a result she received very poor marks on her exams. One day in particular she was crying after just receiving a failing grade on what must have been the sixth test in a row. I could not just stand by and let her weep. I knew that just giving her a shoulder to cry on was not enough. I decided to tutor her every week and by the next test she had received the A that she had been yearning for. Helping her achieve an A on a test gave me a lot more joy than what I had felt after barely studying and receiving my own A. From that day on I learned that I would only be truly happy if I helped others.

I try to help people as much as I can but sometimes even kind words of encouragement will suffice because as Mother Teresa said “Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless.” There even lies immense power in a single smile. It is this type of kindness that our world thrives on. The friendly smile that you give to the random stranger on the street, the wave that you give to your classmates or colleagues when you pass them in the halls are all little acts of kindness that help us as people live in this detached world today. With this kindness I believe I can single-handedly make this world a better place. I can change the world through one small kind act at a time. Benevolence has this ripple effect which has the power to cross oceans, climb mountains, and reach the corners of the earth. With one small act of kindness I can inspire people to perform even more acts of kindness.

I believe that if one person has the ability to make somebody happy even if they must suffer they should perform this act of kindness and deep down they will be glad they did. No day in my life is easy but I know others have problems much greater than mine. That is why I believe in seeking out those individuals and trying to lessen their pain. It is in this way that we can change our society. The meaning of life is to make a difference, be that changing a single person’s day for the better or fixing global issues, every person has the power to bring change. This I believe.