Elizabeth - Little Falls, New Jersey

I Believe

I believe that people should not be judged by first impressions. Making judgments about someone before you know him or her causes people to miss out on having some really good friends. I have made quick judgments about people in the past and found that these judgments were untrue. There was a time when I judged a person before knowing her and almost didn’t have her as a friend. This would have been a loss in my life.

In my neighborhood, everyone is close. There was one day when my neighbor was hanging out with a girl that I didn’t like. Although I didn’t know her that well, she was not nice to some of my neighbors and I didn’t want her treat me the same. After my brother introduced me to this girl, she became one of my good friends. She is really a very funny person. You have to understand her personality because she likes to tease people and joke around a lot. It is not in a mean way, but that’s what it seems like if you don’t know her. I have learned that you should always get to know somebody.

Many people hold on to wrong first impressions and also judge people by what others say. If people weren’t so judgmental, then the world would be a different place. It would be fairer. People would get hired based on their qualifications, not their skin color, or size, or ethnicity. In a fair world, citizens would learn about political candidates and not just vote for the person who makes the best TV or magazine appearance.

Azriel Winnett, a communication skills professional, makes this suggestion: “ If someone makes you mad, or does something obnoxious, instead of yelling, or becoming angry, try closing your eyes and imagining that person as a baby in his or her mother’s arms. Imagine the love that mother felt for her child. Try to take hold of some of that love and transfer it to the present situation.” Maybe a silly exercise, but Winnett makes a good point. A person can train him or herself to be less judgmental, and to take the time to understand others. This, I believe, would lead to a better world.