Kay - Bismarck, North Dakota

This summer I had an epiphany. I went to summer camp expecting to have the best week of my life, for that is what the brochure said. The week was filled with fun, sun and of course cute boys, but I came away with much more than a good suntan. I knew going in that this was a Christian camp. I had been to one before where they drilled in church and the bible, but this time it was different.

Instead of making us attend church three times a day, we sang songs I loved, watched cool skits and listened to a sermon. Unlike the sermons that I usually hear in church where they talk about all the things that make us sinners, at camp we learned about our salvation. I learned about how I can’t buy my ticket through good deeds. The ticket is free. I was reassured that faith alone is my one way ticket to the promise land. Now that posed a potential problem. Do I have faith in God? I have always been a believer, but I also always had doubts. How could God allow me to go through this pain? Why did he let my parents get a divorce?

Luckily my week at camp wasn’t over. We did this thing where we sat outside in the silent darkness for 15 minutes. For the first time in a while I just sat there and talked to God. I asked him all those questions that I had asked a thousand times before. No answer. Then I looked up. I saw all the mountains around me. Then I looked up at the stars. How could this amazing place have been created by mere accident?

These mountains, the stars and this world were created for a reason. There was no doubt in my mind that God created this world. Not only was my faith strengthened, but I was as well. I am aware of the world around me. I now know what kind of person I am, and the person that I want to become. I believe that I am a better person because of my faith. I know that God is my creator and now I am just trying to be the person that he destined me to become.