Mary - Mendenhall, Mississippi

Everything Happens For a Reason

by Mary McMillian

People always say, “How can God let an innocent child be killed?” I had this talk with my mother years ago about these bad events happening. She said that she did not believe that everything happened for a reason. However, I did believe that. We argued for days about this, but she never changed her beliefs.

I have seen too many cases in which I believe everthing happens for a reason. There was a man who was an alcoholic, and his daughter was very sick. He did not put down the alcohol until after the death of his daughter. He had neglected her health because of his addiction, and she passed away as a result. Even though an innocent child died, a man that was an alocholic quit drinking. That is why I believe that everything happens for a reason.

When one bad event happens, a good event comes from the loss. Now that same man is a preacher and has saved many lives. It is similar that the song “Thank God For Unanswered Prayers.” If his daughter had not died, he would have never stopped drinking or became a preacher.