S. (Slim) - Middleburg, Florida

Ok boys and grils,, I havn’t a clue what I’m doing. This was written to be spoken. I was in broadcast for 20 some years, and I don’t imagine anybody even has anything as low tech as a cassette player anymore, so I’ll try this.

___________

I’m pretty sure I’m not alone, but when I was growing up I beleived my Grampa ws the wisest man in the whole world,,even today, out of the blue, a little gem of his wisdom will present itself,, someone will say something, or something will happen and you think to yourself ” Grandpa used to say that”.

I think what I remember the most, are his hands,, wrinkled, scared,, they could fix anything, they could build anything, even they seemed wise.

As a child he was afflicted with something they called then, infintile paralasis,, and strict bed rest was the only prescribed remedy, being a kid, he’d have no part of that,, as it turned out, in this instance, rebellion was therapudic,,as time would bear out.

His right arm was considerably smaller than his left,, his “weak arm”, quote-unquote’ oh yeah,, let him grab you with his “weak arm”

,,yeah.

He lived his life the same way, he raised a family through the depression, he was the best body-fender man in Portland Maine, and he had a fairly successful small farm…He literly

worked from before the sun was up, ’til way after dark. And he wasn’t being a hero, he was simply doing what you did, just another day. And still there was time to be Grampa,, even if it was watching Lawrence Welk, sitting on his lap was all that.

I remember sitting there one time,, and I looked down and said ” Grampa your hnds are soooo old”,,, he looked down at his hands, and he looked at me, and he just kinda’ laughed.

I have grandchildern of my own now, and at fifty something, I’ve opted for “Pappy”,, I don’t know,, somehow it doesn’t sound,, you know, so old.

These kids are my heart, they’re everything,, but , somehow I seem to have forgotten just how much energy they have at that age,,,whoa!!

One evening in an odd moment of tranquility, the youngest was sitting in my lap , she looks down and sez, “Pappy your hands are soooo old ” I looked down, and somehow Grampas’ hands were on the end of my arms,,and for a minuet, all I could think of was him, the stories, the conversations, just the little things. But he was so wise,, I’ve got the hands, but where’s the wisdom,,, for a moment or two I was lost, I just looked down and kinda laughed…

I think I know my Grampa just a little better. My name is Stanley Edward McCann III,,,nahh, check that, just call me “Grampa”. And this I beleive.