Hannah - Bainbridge, Georgia
Themes: sports, work

I Believe That I Can Do Anything

The fans were cheering, the lights were blazing, and the announcer was calling my name. I can not believe what has happened to me. If anyone had told me when I first stepped out onto the field that ten years later I would be here, then I would have laughed in their face. I never thought that I would ever be good enough to make the high school soccer team, but here I am starting my fourth year on varsity as captain.

Ten years ago, during my first day of soccer in second grade, my teammates looked down on me and said that I was a bad player and that I would not last long. This made me feel horrible because they were supposed to be my teammates and my friends. I started to believe them, but then I decided that I was not going to listen to their jeering. I had finally had enough of the feelings of hurt and loneliness. I told myself that I could make it and I believed it; I truly believed it. I could do anything that I put my mind to. No one else’s opinion was going to bring me down. That boost in confidence was exactly what I needed because my playing started improving almost immediately after I changed my belief. I even scored my first goal and was chosen to be on the all-star team that traveled to North Georgia to play in a tournament. There were only two people chosen from my team for this honor and I was one of them. That shows that my belief was strong.

Today I know that I can do almost anything. I worked extremely hard to get where I am today. I have practiced for days on end, even staying after everyone else has left practice to practice some more. I put forth as much effort as I possibly can. I attend every practice, game, and meeting that my team has. My belief in myself is what made it possible for me to be where I am now. Every time that I step out onto that field I believe that I am the one who made all of this possible through my hopes, dreams, and perseverance.