Emily - Webster, New York
Themes: gratitude

This I Believe:

I believe in miracles. Not the ones that cause blind men to suddenly see or deaf men to suddenly hear again, but things less obvious and deeper than that. I witness these countless miracles each and every day; I see them and I feel them.

Waking up in the morning is a miracle. It is the simple proof of a new day and everything that comes along with it. The fact that I have been given the gift of yet another day on Earth is amazing to me. I begin to get ready for school and get in the car as my mom starts the engine to drive me to school. This simple, everyday task of using a car is also a miracle. The ability of the human mind to create such a complex machine is unbelievable. That very thought crosses my mind as I walk into school. As I arrive, I am greeted happily by a group of my friends. This is another miracle – friendship. It’s a bond that can last literally a lifetime. Friendship provides comfort and understanding, honesty and truth, as well as kindness and acceptance. The way that a single person can brighten any day is enough to make me think about it twice. Throughout the day, more tiny miracles, though very small, keep occurring; it’s the smile that I put on someone’s face, or someone going completely out of their way to help me when I really needed an extra hand. When I finally finish school and return home for dinner, I encounter the two biggest miracles of all: love and family. The two go together hand in hand. My family is always there when I need an opinion or just need someone to talk with or listen to me. They’re willing to do whatever they can to help each other out and work through the more difficult times in life. Family provides unconditional love; no matter what I do in life, I know that I will always be able to count on my family to be there. It is truly wondrous that love can be so strong, that one can look past everything that’s happened, all of your faults, and still love you for who you are. And that, to me, is a miracle.

So, yes, I believe in miracles. They’re not extraordinary; they’re not completely obvious, and they may happen every day in life. But that is what makes them miracles. All of these little things that happen over and over again in order to help make our life what is has become. If people would just take a little time out of their day to recognize and appreciate this, the world would be a much better place.