Kyle - New Glaurs, Wisconsin
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Faith

I am not what you would call a religious person. My father was raised a strict Catholic, my mother a Methodist, but neither of my parents are considered very religious. We occasionally attend our Lutheran church and do not make much of it, but we can all agree that faith is a sizable part of our lifestyles. Dad defines faith as trusting in God. He said, “The gift of faith is one of the most important gifts a parent can give to their child.” I always understood what he meant, but faith means something more to me.

Faith in my life is something I can always fall back on. In times of stress or worry my faith keeps things in check. It is a cushion for thoughts that cloud my mind. As it cushions it reminds me that these thoughts are trivial, that I should not bother with them. A faithful person will always be optimistic towards all aspects of their life because they can rely on their faith, as I have, to make sure everything turns out alright in the end.

Two years ago, my faith was put to the test. On a frosty Friday afternoon in November I sat with my family in our cozy living room. The conversation quickly became dire as we learned of my mother’s situation. Cancer was the doctor’s diagnosis. None of us had an idea of what this exactly meant or what cancer was. Our father explained to us what this meant for our family. He attempted to comfort my brother, my sister, and I. He mentioned the importance of sticking together. He mentioned faith. The following months were very depressing and almost sluggish. Mom’s frequent check-ups to the hospital revealed to us that the tumor was not spreading. This was good news, but surgery would have to be performed in order to remove the tumor, and I was especially distressed. My faith was all I had.

Now, several months after the successful surgery, my mother and father agree that faith brought our family through my mother’s illness. Faith’s ability to overcome impossibly difficult situations like this, my father says, is what makes it so incredible. But I believe faith isn’t there for you just in times of despair, but in times of joy. Joy is a product of having faith and allowing that faith to dispose of your negative emotions, leaving only the good behind.