Peijie - Syracuse, New York

I believe life is an extending journey.

When I was a little boy, I didn’t have much memory of settling down with my family. My parents started to travel around the country for better careers since I was 6 years old. And I had to transfer to different primary schools each other year. At that time, I hate traveling because I was sad for losing old friends and I was scared by entering new environment.

Till the youth, I still could not understand why I deserved such a troubled life. But I was always curious about the meaning of the journey in my parents’ life. One day of my 14, I consulted them. However, they just smiled, gave me a tour ticket and said you should find the answers for yourself.

I still remember that wonderful tour. I was shocked by the oppressive history in the Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s Mausoleum; I was surprised by the modern image of Shanghai city; I was immersed in the traditional Suzhou Garden; and I tasted the various tea cultures in my country. Suddenly, I felt journey was not always boring and my life could be interesting.

Gradually, I fell in love with traveling. Because it broadened my views, triggered my thoughts and made my life independent and colorful. Meanwhile, I tried to get down to my own journey route. I wanted to extend it because I knew someone and something waiting for me in the next destinations of my life.

Therefore, I continue traveling to America in pursuit of my PhD degree. I enjoy amazing life here: cultural diversity, international friendship, advanced technology and challenging career. These are similar to my journey before. Every day and everywhere, I absorb new knowledge and experience, compare, analyze them and even argue with strangers I meet. Finally I develop and extend my own judgments.

Now I see the significance of the travel in my parents’ life. Also, I find the relationship between journey and life in my heart. Life is an extending journey. And this, I believe.