Setting goals with perseverance

Jooyoung - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: purpose

Everyone has a goal, whether it’s a short-term goal or a long-term goal. A goal encourages hard work and acts as an influence in people’s daily lives. Regardless of what goal a person has, I believe that setting goals in a higher perspective will cause perseverance and endeavor in people, and thus, enable people to be one step closer to achieving their goals.

Being perseverant can be challenging, but perseverance is one of the factors that determine whether you achieve your goals or not. My family came to the U.S. about 4 years ago. It was a very difficult time for me to go through, since my whole environment had changed. Knowing no English was a major challenge and a blockade to my education and school life. No matter how much I wanted to learn English, overcoming it required work and time. But through perseverance and determination, I was able to make progress over time and get closer to achieving the goal of learning English.

Continuously, I aimed higher and raised the standards of my goals. I didn’t know that aiming goals higher can help you achieve your goals, until my mom first told me that if I aim higher, set goals in a higher perspective and have high expectations, then there will be no disappointing results. Understanding this has changed my whole way of thinking about my goals. My long-term goal for the future is to go to a very competitive university, become a medical doctor and join WHO. First when I set those goals, I didn’t know difficult they would be to accomplish, but as I began to learn more about each of them, and how much work I needed to do, I started becoming persistent on my work and I set my goals higher than I did before.

Realizing that my goals are becoming closer each day and that the following few years are critical to achieving my goals, I focus much more on academics and extracurricular activities than I have ever before. In addition to other influences, my family is very supportive when it comes to my future and my decisions, and having such a family has helped me get through many blockades to my goal and it has broadened my view of the meaning of hard work.

A person may have doubts to their abilities and goals, but I believe that if you are self-confident, optimistic and always try to be perseverant, you won’t be disappointed in the goals that you accomplish.