Mom Wanted to See the Expression on My Face

Callie - Johnston, Iowa

A minister who works with me at a restaurant stated that people are able to love because they have been shown love. I like to give rare, perfect, unexpected gifts. I believe it is because I have been given rare, perfect, unexpected, “I absolutely love it!” gifts. In high school my mom noticed I loved music. She gave me a Bose Wave Radio for Christmas. I had not asked for it. I had never heard of Bose. Another Christmas I received a guitar. I was shocked and pleased. Last Christmas I waited at Wal-Mart from 3 to 8 a.m. to get a Wii for my brothers. I also bought a puppy for my mom. It felt good to anticipate the expression on their faces. I understand why my mom thought about what gift would bring me great joy. She wanted to see the expression on my face. I believe rare, perfect, and unexpected gifts are a manifestation of love.

When I was twenty I drove home from art school in Minneapolis for my sister’s graduation in Sigourney, Iowa. The night I arrived home, I received Jesus. I was overflowing with the joy of his rare, perfect and unexpected gift. I laughed and cried synonymously for two weeks. When I went back to school, I started doing my roommates laundry. I went for a walk with bags of food, to deliver to the homeless. Exhilarated by one young man’s delighted, repeated squeal, “Thank you for the food, thank you for the food,” I cried some more. I told my Mom, and she told me I better never deliver food alone again. I believe Jesus lead me to that boy, because he anticipated the joy I would experience giving.

That summer I went to garage sales with my mom and sister. I told them to look for size 10 sandals. I believe it is rare to find attractive size 10 sandals at garage sales. That day I found four pairs of beautiful size 10 vintage sandals. I believe the Lord delivered me to that particular spot on that day to those shoes to say I love you.

I was diagnosed with bipolar during my first manic episode at age 21. When I woke up in the hospital, I found a new pair of pajamas and a bottle of lovely smelling lotion. They were amazing gifts, because they were there to kiss me good morning, and wrap their arms around me after waking up from a nightmare. I thought God had dropped them off at the hospital. Now, I know Mom delivered them for him. I believe, “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom.” – Luke 6:38.