Danielle - 98424, Washington

I believe in the power of music. To me, those that don’t believe in magic couldn’t be more wrong. Because to me – music is magic, plain and simple. I know some of you are probably thinking “corny much?” And you’re right, it is corny. But it’s true. I have witnessed firsthand the power that music has to heal wounds.

After my dad’s death a little over 5 years ago, my world was turned upside down. But the thing I remember most about that time in my life was how distant I felt from everything, like I was living life completely separate from the rest of the world. The spoken and handwritten condolences offered to me were insufficient; they were just words – they didn’t mean anything. I found little comfort in anything, and I became more reserved and detached as time went on. But for some reason the comfort that I couldn’t seem to find in anything else was exactly what I found in music. It was what drew me back out of the reclusive shell I had put myself in, and what ultimately made me whole again.

Music is still a big part of my life. And to this day, it continues pushing me out of that shell. About a year ago I did something I never would have imagined myself doing. I auditioned for my school’s jazz choir knowing full well that if I made it, I would be required to sing and perform regularly in front of an audience full of people. Since then, I have performed many times with my choir and I fall in love with singing, and with music more every day.

I can almost guarantee there isn’t a single person alive who isn’t affected by music in one way or another. And for me there is nothing quite like hearing a song I love, whether it is for the first time or for the hundredth. The soaring melodies and steady rhythms of a song offer me something beautifully constant. No matter how much my life changes or throws me off balance, I can always come back to a song and rely on it to be exactly the same as I left it.