James - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe things happen for reasons to make us stronger. My mother had past away when I was younger. At the time I couldn’t understand why she had to leave me, but as I got older I realized it was for a reason. I use to be angry because she never seen me go to school, play sports, or anything that I feel that she should have been there for. But I was fine with that because my grandmother raised me while my dad was in the military. Her influence in my life is the reason why I do most of the things I do today. My grandmother was everything to me she was my world. She taught me never to be afraid to speak my mind and don’t take nobody crap. She was a very head strong woman and I appreciate he for being that way. Whenever I see apple pies I get flashbacks of her making them and how sweet they smell when she took them out of the oven. As years passed and I grew older we came became very close. But it came to a sudden end in my life. I had to move with my dad I didn’t want to leave because I need my grandmother she was my protector and friend. She told it was going to be okay because I will see her again real soon. So that made me happy and she was right I did she moved in with us in a few months. My grandmother moved out and I was sad but I got to stay with her during the summer and I seen her for the major holidays. My grandmother had become ill and passed away. I was angry everybody I blamed my dad because we were not there when she passed away and I even blamed God because he took her away from me and he knew that I needed her. For a couple over years I was a very angry person because of her death. But it came to me one day that she is in a better place and she taught me everything that she could. Because of her today I can do anything I want and I have been pretty successful in my life.