Kristen - San Antonio, Texas

It happens all too often that one person feels superior to another. Sometimes they feel more important because they make more money, they’re more attractive, they have a better education, or just because they think there is no one they would rather spend time with than themselves. In my short time on this earth I have learned that no matter how beautiful a person is they can still be really ugly inside. No matter how well-educated someone is they can still make really stupid decisions. Life is not about who has something nicer or better, it is about the one of a kind gift that each person brings to the table. I believe in the value of the individual.

What I have to offer, my views, my flaws, my life story, is not the same as my neighbor or classmate. We are all so extraordinarily unique and we all have so much wisdom and experience to offer each other. You hear people say, “Oh I thought he was somebody, but he’s nobody.” I believe that we are all “somebody.” I believe that if we could all take advantage of what each one of us has to offer, we would be stronger and more united. I believe that we should treat each new encounter, not like just another acquaintance, but like a wealth of information. No one would have to feel like they are defined by their bank account or by what they see in the mirror. Unfortunately we don’t all have time to learn something from the guy passing us on the street, but this thinking helps also when I am having a bad day and I start gossiping about someone, because it makes me stop and remember that we are all equals with no right to look down on our fellow man.