Forgiveness

Michelle - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that a person needs to have forgiveness in their heart for those who have wronged them in order to move on in life and be happy.

I know this because I for so many years I have had grudges and anger towards people for the wrong that they have done to me. I know now that all that has done in my life is spoiled years that should have been good. I have been granted another chance, and I learned that I need to forgive in order to be happy.

My mother committed suicide when I was 13, and I remember thinking damn her, how could she. I had 5 other brothers and all I could think about was everything that she was going to miss out on in their lives. But I soon realized that I was mad because she was never there for me, and now she was never going to be able to be there for me ever.

As an young adult I realized that I needed my mother and it hurt and angered me so much not to have her there. I knew that I must forgive her in order to be ok and at peace in my heart. I have walked around with my heart aching and blood boiling at times for a long time. I know now how to stop feeling this way and how to accept what is done is done.

I am a happier person now that I forgave her. My thoughts are not bad about her anymore and when I think about her it does not anger me. Instead my thoughts of her are how much I love her and miss her. This is making me a stronger person because without forgiveness, I would have never been able to go through life without being angered easily because of all the anger I carried around with me. I am a better person for this, and now my heart can be at peace.