Mary - Ogden, Utah

I believe in speaking through the lips of silence. I’ve always been an ordinary girl. Even when I was little I relied on silence. It has been a place that I visit often when I need to acquire a state of reflection.

Noise is often nothing more than a clamorous disturbance, which diverts direct communication. I know of a Chinese philosopher, Lao Tzu. One passage states, ”Those who know do not speak; Those who speak do not know.” If you have discovered that silence is more satisfying than speech, you probably have experienced moments in your life that require silence. I was once entered in a Geography competition in my elementary school. I listened as my competitors tried to save themselves through irrelevant tangents when the answer to a question seemed beyond their mental grasps. They were not aware of how their senseless prattle made them seem less knowledgable.

I am currently a high school student. Each class that passes by requires different moments of silence. I am aware that one class will be noisier than another. Still my teachers try their best to keep the silence. I have come to better appreciate the incessant effort of my educators to clear a path for concentration.

Silence has many different voices and purposes. I can remember when I was younger and every so often my father would watch TV with me. Law and Order was his first choice. I used to be able to recite the rights a person would verbally receive after being arrested, “You have the right to remain silent…” No one can ever take this right away from you. It’s not until now that I realize the significance of that silence. A time to reflect on wrong actions. A refuge from the loud sirens and other sounds. A peaceful rest from the troubles that may follow.

People have never failed to sense a silence or peacefulness to my personality. I don’t think silence should be a perpetual quality for anyone. I hope I can remind myself and others that the world began with silence, and the world will end with silence.