Hyonjee - Boise, Idaho
Themes: gratitude
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

The Little Details in Life

By Hyonjee Joo

Ever since I started attending junior high I have looked at life from a different angle. I have learned to better observe my surroundings and the people around me. I have also realized that it isn’t just the big or major events in life that really matter. I believe that the small detailed things in life matter just as much if not even more.

When I look back to when I was younger, I remember how big of an effect the little things in life made on me. For example, small and effortless things that my parents said or did truly meant a lot to me. If my parents praised me for finishing my work after school, it would make my day, and I would remain happy for quite some time. On the other hand if my parents scolded me for forgetting to clean my room, it would ruin my day, and I would become a very grumpy and an almost impossible child.

Over time though, as I aged little details like those didn’t seem to affect me like they once did. When my parents, friends, or even teachers made remarks about me, bad or good, I did not seem to mind. Even when I received praise I was happy during that moment, but as soon as it was over I didn’t seem to feel the happiness any longer. The same went for criticism. When somebody scolded or criticized my work or actions, I was not deeply scarred, and I learned to brush it off and move on.

Not very long ago I started thinking about whether or not the little things in life were important. After many days of thinking and observing I finally came to a conclusion. I was in an argument with my younger brother, and it was one of those arguments that resulted in tears and frustration. After the tediously long argument was over, I tried to recall the reason for why it had started. I then realized that it had started because I had told him that his joke was not very funny. It was then that I realized and believed that little things such as that could make a big difference in everyday life.

To this day I still believe that the small and often ignored things in our everyday lives are very important and not to be forgotten.