Katie - Alton, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in second impressions. It is known by most that nobody on this planet is perfect, and we all have our own personal flaws for better or for worse. Think of a world where the entire human race based their opinions on first impressions…no one would have friends, a husband or wife, or children. Everyone would just be lonely. Looking past the exterior of someone that make look or act a little differently may be harder than it seems, because a person’s natural instinct is to judge.

A couple of years ago, in middle school, the same girl would always happen to have the same classes as me, and she came to be known as Molly. I didn’t know her, and we never talked to each other. The extent of our relationship never went past the awkward eye contact in the hallways, which we would both look away as quickly as possible. That is how our lives went day in and day out. I did not like her, and in fact I thought she was a bit peculiar. In eighth grade we ended up being stuck in the same math class, and to make things worse, we had to sit right next to each other because of the teacher’s seating chart. At first we didn’t say a word to one another, and we just stayed out of other’s business and went on our way. One day is prominent in my mind, and that is the day that Molly finally spoke to me. She asked me what problem set needed to be done for homework.

As the year progressed, so did our relationship. After that day we talked and kept on talking sometimes straight into a detention for disrupting the class. By the end of the year we had become inseparable. We spent every waking moment together, and to this day we have become even closer. Molly is my best friend and I don’t know where I would be without her.

First impressions are not always correct, and once we open ourselves to that fact a whole new world of friends can present itself to anyone.