Debra - Wilmington, Massachusetts

Do It Yourself

For most of my life I have known where I wanted to be in ten years, and how I would get there. This is what makes me different than my family—I know what I want, and I am willing to get it. Your parents always tell you that you can be anyone you want to be, that you can accomplish anything you want, and that you can do anything. I firmly follow this motto. I believe that a person can have anything they want; they just need to find a way and get it.

In life, there is no easy way out. Some people believe in fate, others just act on impulse and do not care what happens; they will deal with it when the time comes. My life is ruled not by any higher power or hopeful wish, but by me. When I want something to happen, I make it happen. One reason for my independent attitude is a story my grandmother told me. She always wanted to become a school teacher because she loved kids. She got married, however, and said “if it is meant to be, then it will happen”. Well, like most things in life, her dream did not come true because she did not go after it. I believe that just like how nothing in life is free, nothing in life is handed to you. Some people use excuses to describe why their wishes were not granted, I, however, have no pity for them. If someone wanted something that bad, then they would find a way to make it come true. I strictly believe that nothing is out of reach for those who try and form their own futures.

Ten years from now I will be in medical school, and I have no doubt about it. For the past three years, ever since middle school, I have wanted to be a pediatrician. I will not, however, wait for fate to decide whether I have my dream or not. Greatness and satisfaction comes to those who have a goal and do whatever it takes to make it come true. My inspiration for this theory is my aunt. She went through school studying as hard as she could—she stayed up until two o’clock in the morning studying if she had to. She was then rewarded for all her efforts, when she got into Boston College; the college had wanted to go to. If you look at my aunt now, she is happy, married, and has a college degree she can be proud of. I am one person who will reach their goals, and live a good life because of it.

Some people succeed in life when they have a bad background, and some people do not succeed, even with the best chances. This is because some people choose to reach their goals, and others are just alive “for the joy of the ride”. Anyone who says that they do not have a fair chance is lying. Nothing is impossible, and all you need to reach your goals is drive, and knowledge that it is your life, no one else’s.