Jeryn - Sweeny, Texas

The Gift of Comfort

I believe in reaching out to people who need comforting.

The word ‘hug’ seems much too simple for what a hug really is. Webster’s dictionary defines hugging as “to press tightly especially in the arms: embrace” or “to hold fast: cherish.” Hugs are so much more than just small acts of showing affection to someone. A hug is a way of reminding someone that you really care about them. Hugs have the power to transform a bad day into a very good day.

My five-year-old nephew is the sweetest boy in the whole world. Every time I see him, he reaches up for me to hold him so that he can wrap his little arms around my neck and give me a big hug. I miss him so much whenever he leaves, but just knowing that I will get another one of those hugs in a week or two makes all the difference.

Everyone should also remember that hugs are not something to be embarrassed about. Even though your friends may laugh, never be afraid to hug your mom in front of your friends. Most teenagers forget this, but eventually they will regret these mistakes that they made.

Although hugs are a very special way of showing comfort to someone, there are many other ways to show someone that you care about them. One of the easiest ways to comfort someone is to just say “hi” or “how are you doing.”

If someone is obviously having a bad day, you can easily brighten their day with an acknowledgment of their presence, which can even be as simple as a slight head nod. I know that when my day starts out bad, I start to feel much better when someone says “hi.”

Everyone feels comforted when people are nice to them or even acknowledge them. So when you pass someone during the day, just say a simple “hello” or give them a hug. Trust me, it will make a big difference.