Janet - Arvada, Colorado
Themes: question

I have always been the type of person who doesn’t look on the bright side of things. I don’t really have a cherry disposition. I don’t think of the glass as half full and I don’t think it is healthy to think optimistically, but more realistically. So I really do apologize that I am not the sweet jolly girl that some people think I am, but I just don’t want to be.

I have to say at this very moment I don’t really believe in anything. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I have beliefs, but I haven’t had anything extremely profound happen to me to make me have strong beliefs about anything.

I am an 18-year-old young woman who is still trying to figure out who I am. I think that it is alright that I don’t really believe in anything and that it is okay to still be trying to figure everything out. I believe that I can’t really believe in anything when I’m still trying to figure out what I believe in. Beliefs are permanent things and to me, nothing in my life is permanent. I could be a completely different person in 6 months or 2 years and my beliefs might change.

When I was told that we were suppose to write a, this I believe essay for our English class, I really didn’t have any feeling good or bad about it. But for the next few days I thought about and I thought about what I would write, and I couldn’t think of anything. I didn’t feel that there was anything that I really felt strong enough about to say that it had a profound effect on me. I just haven’t had enough life experience to figure out what it is that I believe in and I think that is alright.

My belief in not believing in anything has made me very open to listening and accepting other people’s beliefs no matter what they are. Who am I to judge people who believe in something, when I’m not really sure what I believe in? The point is that I don’t believe in anything because I don’t know what I believe in because I am still trying to figure out my life.

I believe in taking my time in figure out who I am and what I believe and if they makes me weird, or bizarre I am okay with that. I would rather to true to myself no beliefs than lie about my beliefs.