Samuel - Wheaton, Illinois

Do What You Love

I believe in finding that one thing that you enjoy doing and sticking to it. We all need something to get us through each day, something that we look forward to; something that defines us. This thing for me is simple; it’s running. Running helps me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

After dealing with a tough day going for a run will make a world of difference. There have been many times in my life that unload stress and worry on me, but after I go running I feel that everything will be just fine and I’ll make it through the hardship I’m facing. When it’s just me and the road, it gives me a chance to reflect. Whenever I’m feeling sad or lost, I’ll go for a run which after, makes me forget about whatever it was that was worrying me. It’s amazing how a simple jog can turn your whole mind set around.

Running has given me more self confidence. The summer before junior year I went to the doctor for a normal check-up. I weighed about two-hundred and twenty five pounds. I remember the doctor telling me that I was overweight and if I continued at this rate it could lead to health problems in the future. I went home that day feeling absolutely horrible. I was insulted by what he said, even though I knew he was right. The next day I promised myself that I would lose all of the weight and become healthy. That day I went running. I ran for one mile which led to two and then three. That summer, I lost about forty-five pounds and was one hundred and eighty-five pounds. The next time I went to the doctor, he told me that I was healthy. Running probably saved my life.

Even though I met my goal in losing the weight, I still couldn’t stop running. I love it. I love the way that I felt afterwards. I still run every day no matter what the weather is like. Running has gotten me into a system; a system of routine to which I’ll bring with me to college and for the rest of my life.

I believe that making myself run every day shapes me into a better person. Because I run a lot, that it will help me avoid drugs and alcohol today and in the future. I don’t want things that will hurt and poison the body that I’ve worked so hard to get. Running gives you a moment where you can just slow down in life, and pull yourself together. Find something you love to do, and stick with it. It might change your life; it changed mine.