Jessica - Wheaton, Illinois

I am eighteen years old, and I believe in the tooth fairy. I have learned that nothing is more exciting to a small child than realizing their tooth is loose.

Recently I was babysitting for a six-year-old named Annika at her house in Naperville. Dinner is always a task with her since all she wants to do is talk to you or show you every toy she owns, which unfortunately is a lot. Eventually I gave up and let her get down from the table, but I told her to grab an apple first so she got something nutritional. Of course Annika attempted to talk to me while she ate her apple, and only seconds after her first bite did I hear her say,

“Oh my gosh Jessica, I lost my tooth! My tooth came out! I’m going to put it under my pillow and the tooth fairy will come and she will leave me a coin and oh my GOSH Jessica!” she shrieked.

The light in her eyes was so obvious; her innocence was shining through. Annika really believed a pink fairy was going to enter her room that night and give her money for the small, useless tooth she had been waiting so long to lose. Children are so innocent when they still believe in things like the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny. It is such a vulnerable time for them; they can be molded and begin to be shaped into the person they are going to become. Observing kids is so amazing because the fact that they know so little about the world around them is amusing and endearing.

Everyday I try to look at life the same way a child does and see that not all things need to make sense. No matter what is going on in your life there are always more good times to be had. So maybe I don’t believe in the tooth fairy in a physical form. I know a little sparkling fairy won’t fly into Annkia’s room with a coin and some fairy dust, but what I do believe in is the innocence of a child. An innocence that is so quick and so precious that it should be savored every moment it is offered to you.